Sunday, September 19, 2004

Why blog?

Why do we want to write blogs? I think it is because we have things to say that we don't get to say any other way. I read other people's blogs, and am startled to find that some of them are really fun to read, and have become favorites. Regularly, I read a very well written blog about a man's life with his little 18-month-old daughter. Watching her progress, her sleep cycles, her new life unfold...is none of my business...but the blog is written with such wonder and love that I find it marvelous. I read blogs where people publish their poetry. Outside of a poetry class, there are few places to read everyday poems. How many poems actually get published? .0001% of them? Blogging is sharing our music, ideas, political views, and some things that I skip over really quickly. Blogging is sharing our likes and dislikes, our dreams, and all the every day seemingly mundane stuff that makes up like a quilt into a complex and productive life. Writing a blog gives us the space we need to express ideas that don't make it to print, or even conversation. Out in the real world, we don't have time to sit down and talk to each other much. Maybe people are rushing by us to get home to their computers, so they can work on their blog and tell us who they are.

I read blogs about knitting, written by women who love to knit as much as I do. I am surprised to find that most of them are better knitters than I am, buy even more expensive yarn, knit more complicated projects and suffer the same dilemna of "so much to knit, so little time". They also have great blogs with lots of pictures of their projects, homes, gardens and children. I thank them for sharing that part of their life with me. Where else but a blog do I get to be like a fly on the wall of other people's thoughts? Yes, it is like writing a diary on the internet. I remember when girl's diaries came with little keys that brothers could break easily I'm sure. Now we just throw away the key, and let the world in. I think bloggers are like prolific poets who have a lot to say and not enough places to say it. Who reads it doesn't really matter.