Sunday, September 16, 2007

A closet obsession

I have decided that I want to have another obsession besides beading. I am going to have an obsession about a clean and organized closet.

A month or so ago, I decided to clean out all the clothes that I don't want to wear. It was a big job. Over the years, a pretty big potion of my salary has gone to clothes shopping. As clothes ownership goes, I would probably NOT win the contest of who has the most clothes, but I might be a distant runner-up. I counted the blouses that I had to wear to work: 60...and I counted the number of pair of slacks: 60. That seems like a lot! I decided to stop counting, and start putting everything away in an organized fashion. I gave away four large bags of handbags. None of these were worn, and I hope they find a happy home. I realize I had let my handbag collection get out of control. It felt good to downsize (and make room for more?)

I went through and gave away several large bags of perfectly good clothes that I no longer wear. Professional closet organizers will tell you that if you wouldn't buy it again, then get rid of it. I got rid of a lot of items that were either poor choices in the first place or no longer fit. One thing I decided is that by having so many clothes to choose from, I hardly ever wear anything out. And I LIKE what I like, and want to keep them.

Yesterday George made a new clothes rack for me that stretches all along one wall of the small bedroom that I call a closet. Our house has tiny closets built into the bedrooms, and they hold very little. I have those full too. One closet just holds half of my pants collection, and the other holds winter wraps and sweaters. My old rack was a Martha Stewart brand plastic wrapped closet organizer and it had developed a 45 degree list to the right...endangering my clothes and perhaps our lives. It had to go.

I got up at 5 a.m. the last two mornings to work in my closet-dressing room. I emptied the old rack and put some items in the giveaway bag and some in Summer storage. I have it all organized. In the process, I found my IPOD which I had misplaced this summer after we came back from our trip. I was worried that it had gotten into a bin of off-season clothes that I keep in the storage unit. (Oh, I forgot to tell you about those.) I found it in a drawer where I keep my fans. (Oh, I forgot to tell you about my fan collection.) I was very happy to see it! In the meantime, I bought a new IPOD Shuffle, (so now I have an IPOD collection too.)

Stuff. I know it is a problem. I know I should be more Zen and have five GOOD articles of clothing, all in black, all no wrinkle-knits and all mix and match. I know that. I know most people would think I have far too many clothes and handbags and shoes.

And I don't care. She who dies with the most stuff wins.

Have a great day.