Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A big gulp!

Since 7-11 is my birthday, and since my son and I are having a conversation about how to cut back on caffeine, I decided to vent forth about how crazy I think we are to buy drinks in such large containers.

Recently I have discovered that if I order a small iced coffee, it has at least 3 normal cups of coffee in it, and it is by far much more coffee than I need. A medium is crazy and those big things that people buy are just insanity!

Big Gulp: Here is the actual words from the website of the 7-Eleven company about their products: "Of all its proprietary products, 7-Eleven sells more fresh-brewed coffee than anything else – more than 1 million cups each day. That’s more than 10,000 pots of coffee an hour every hour of every day of the year."

Ok, I don't blame them for wanting to sell more of anything, since that makes the company more successful. I guess I am happy that we are talking coffee and not cigarettes, although I bet they sell plenty of those too.

So, here is what they say about the BIG GULP: "Beverages – biggest & best: 7-Eleven was the first retailer to introduce self-serve fountain drinks. When the 32-ounce Big Gulp® was introduced in 1980, it was the biggest cup on the market. In 1988, 7-Eleven introduced the giant 64-ounce Double Gulp®, the biggest soft drink on the market. Last year 7-Eleven stores sold almost 33 million gallons of fountain drinks – enough to fill 75 Olympic-size swimming pools."

Ok. I don't blame them for wanting to fill up swimming pools with Slurpies, but...can you imagine how many calories that would be?

Remember when a person would go get a cup of coffee at the diner, and sit on a stool and drink out of one of those heavy white porcelain mugs? Those hold 12 oz of coffee, which is already a cup and a half. In their day, those were considered big and bold and generous. Now, if we took that same mug and filled it up with a large iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts, we'd have to fill that mug about 16 times! The old cow poke at the l950's diner would be there ALL day trying to drink that much coffee!

It is no wonder we are all having trouble with caffeine addiction. And lets not even talk about the cream and the sugar!

Ok. I'm off the horse.

Have a great day.