Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Coming Home and Getting Organized

Getting back in the routine after a trip takes a few days. I'm updating my calendar, answering emails, finding out what there is in the refrigerator, buying fresh groceries, unpacking, catching up on the news with George, having my nails fixed (all twenty) and getting out the knitting projects that I had going when I left.

In El Reno I knit three hats: one for mom, one for Devin, and one for me. I also a white furry scarf for the baby. The hats are all the type of hat you want to wear on a snow day. Since Boston is expecting 8 -12" of snow tomorrow, I'll be ready! Or at least the outside of my head will be ready, the inside of my head can't wrap around the fact that we are going to be snowed in again. I ended Devin's hat with 12 stitches at the top, and then made three (4-stitch) I-cords which I knotted at the top.

My new knitting book, Knitting on the Edge, arrived last night from Barnes and Noble, and I really love it. Even George could see that it was a good book, with hundreds of patterns for edgings, lace, complicated cable designs, and a few elegant patterns. My goal is to stop making simple scarfs out of fancy eyelash yarn, and start making fancy stuff out of simple yarns. I am going to start on a sweater with cables and see how that goes. In the past I have made lots of complicated items and then I just started wanting to knit without the hassle, so I made scarfs and shawls. Now I'm ready for the hassle again. I wore my "Marti Gras" scarf yesterday with the long fringe of many colors, and someone said, "You are so creative". That was very nice to hear.

I got an invitation to my 40th highschool reunion by email. I'm not depressed about age and not afraid to admit that it has been a long time since I was in highschool. So what. I've had a very good time since I left and I had a lousy time in highschool. I couldn't wait to get out of Dodge and get on with my life, and that is exactly what I did. I am not sure if I will go back to El Reno in September, but whether I do or not, it is a good way to catch up with a few people by email who I haven't talked to in a very long time. When I got the invite, I thought it was to my 30th! Time flies!

Have a great day, and don't let the turkeys get you down!