Sunday, December 26, 2004

Turkey soup

You can tell the holiday is over when we are eating turkey soup. Yesterday we had turkey for Christmas dinner, but I let the turkey cool for a full hour before we served it. We carved it and made a dinner for my friend, and George and I took it to his house and then came back for our own dinner preparations. Actually, since it was cooler, the turkey was easier to carve, and no less tasty. I carved off all the meat and as I did, I put the bones in my new Calphalon pot that Mike gave me for Christmas and which I have already used several times. It is now a permanent guest on the top of the stove. I added cold water, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and celery and cooked it for one hour, and then refrigerated it over night. Today I strained it and added carrots, potatoes, fresh peas, broccoli, brussel sprouts, parsnips and tomatoes and reheated it and we are having it for lunch. Turkey soup is so flavorful, it is my favorite thing to eat after a holiday.

We took Mike and Michelle to the airport to catch their shuttle to Washington. We had such a great Christmas and I'm so glad they were here with us. It is snowing, but not enough to cause any delays hopefully. Traveling on Christmas can be so challenging, but so far it has been no problem here. We are lucky.

We still have gingerbread men to bake today. George's family is coming for a visit tomorrow so Christmas isn't over yet. I will go to work tomorrow, and take my friend to Brigham and Women's hospital for a chemo visit, which seems to me like the important thing to do. We still have a small wheel of Brie cheese, assorted Christmas cookies, brownies, and spiced pecans, as well as chex mix that my mom sent us and half of a cheesecake. Lots of food still to enjoy around here. I hope they come hungry.

Winding down here after the Christmas rush and enjoying it.

Take care and enjoy a peaceful day.