Friday, December 17, 2004

A sigh of relief

The white scarf for my mom's friend is finished. I used three skeins of white fun fur, doubled it, and cast on 20 stitches. I slip the first stitch and knit across on all rows. It is fluffy and pretty, but more importantly, it is finished in time to add it to the big box of Christmas gifts going to Oklahoma. I never thought that a brown box with a label on it could look so good to me. Now I can get going on Michael's afghan.

I shopped in a hurry last night and bought a Spongebob Squarepants pillow and fleece blanket for my grand-nephew, (soft and cuddly and good for naptime for a little fella) and a little teething doll for his baby sister, and added in some Spiderman toys, Spongebob keychain, and other little things. I bought some Disney paper, wrapped it all up, and that package, along with some small gifts for my neice, is on its way this morning to Muskogee. Okie from Muskogee, remember that song? My mother got a new Alfred Dunner outfit, a pair of matching earrings, a pair of comfy slippers, a pretty bird calendar, and some towels with pictures of lighthouses, which she loves. It is the thought that counts. But what counts to me right now is getting it all wrapped and boxed and mailed. That is the hardest part of Christmas for me. The rest is an easy slide downhill. I hope.

Speaking of sliding down hill, it is snowing here this morning. Just enough to be pretty and more than a little slippery. [The cars on the downhill street near my house were all backed up and stopped in their tracks because of ice, and two buses were going sideways. Snow squalls in New England can be treacherous and it was messier than I thought.] This would be a great day to stay home and bake cookies, but...I have to go to work. I will count my blessings (one being a job) in the car on the way and listen to my new Clay Aiken Christmas CD.

I love cardinals in the winter time, and think that the females are just as pretty as the bright red males, in their own way. Thank goodness for the ladies.

Hello weekend!