Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Christmas Fiesta

I am mostly ready for the Christmas party. On the invitation, for lack of a better word, I called it a "Christmas Fiesta". So, in honor of that, I am making one Mexican flavored dish, a casserole with tortillas, ground beef, cheese, spicy tomatoes and beans. I have never made it before and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have ordered a medium sized honey-baked ham, with two free "sides" and a free 12" cheesecake. Since the 7-8 pound ham costs close to $50, I'm happy they are throwing something in for free.

I'm going to sugar fruits like grapes, kumquats and orange slices, and surround the ham with these "holiday" treats. Tonight I am working on the rest of the menu. I think I will make rice with cumin or chilis, and a platter of fresh fruit and a platter of fresh veggies with dip. There will be bowls of olive dip, spinach dip and salted nuts. And a basket of fancy breads from Panera with deli honey mustard and butter. I am making lime zest cookies.

Guests are bringing desserts, so there will be at least six different desserts to choose from. I am trying to keep the dinner simple so people can really enjoy the dessert, but it is rather like a runaway train. I keep thinking of something else I could add. I'm very eager to keep it worry free, and not to get into a tizzy at the last minute. I know that the tizzies can happen, and I want no part of it. For that reason, I am taking advantage of premade platters of fruit and vegetables and olive dip. I found a good recipe for spinach dip, so I think I'll make that from scratch.

George is a willing and somewhat preplexed bystander. He doesn't really understand all that goes into a party, but he is a good and willing host, and no one enjoys the party food more than he does. He is going to string some lights outside, and he will help me carry things up from the basement and from the attic and clean out the coat closet.

Oy. There is a lot to do. Calm. Calm. Ommmmmmmm.