Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Do or don't....lets don't.

Two weeks ago, my 2 year old Dell Inspiron laptop slid off my lap and fell against the corner of an open drawer.  The impact with the sharp corner broke the screen and created a Rorschach test on my screen.  My heart broke.  When George told me that I was two weeks out of warranty, my heart broke again.  What a waste.  We did some research on the web.  George found out that you can purchase a new screen for a Dell Inspiron from Amazon for $50.00.   When I called Dell, they said they would fix it for $260.   Mike said I could buy a new Chromebook for about $260.

Also on the web, George found a YouTube about how to replace the screen yourself on a Dell laptop. He thought maybe we could bring it to Mike's house where they could work on it together.  That seemed like a terrible option, since it would clearly waste a whole day with two nice guys fussing and worrying about a thing gone wrong with a good chance of terrible results. We delayed a couple more days while we considered our options and then George said, "Lets at least watch the YouTube of how to repair it ourselves."

The man in the video first explained that it was a 20 minute video so we needed to be patient.   His screen was broken exactly like mine.  Then he said, "take a guitar pick and gently gently slide it into the edge of the screen, careful, careful because you don't want to crack anything, and there is a web cam in the way.  If you can't get a separation, try in another place on the screen..."  George and I looked at each other and he said, "Ok, lets send it to Dell".

Sometimes big decisions come easier than you thought.  We both knew instantly that we would not be able to fix this ourselves.

We didn't even know where to get a guitar pick.

Have a great day.