Sunday, August 03, 2014

Sunday night

In the last few weeks, as I contemplated what retirement may be like, I thought that one big difference would be Sunday evenings.  In the late 70's, I worked in a high pressure job.  I was trying to learn and do things right, and I was responsible for things that were out of my control; and I suffered from Sunday night heebie-jeevies, a nervousness about what tomorrow might bring that threatened to bring my weekend mood crashing down.  Until the last few years, I suffered from the Sunday h-js.  When I thought of retirement, I thought that Sunday nights were going to be just another evening - an evening filed with later night TV, or late night reading, or sitting on the deck watching the fireflies without worrying about "bedtime".  Sleeplessness is no longer a big threat if you are free in the daytime to take a nap if you want.

So, tonight it is 8:45 on Sunday night.  I am watching a show called Craft in American on Roku.  It is about quilting in Gee's Bend, Alabama.  I am thrilled with the prospect of hand quilting my pink and white quilt that came from my mother.   I am thrilled to be able to watch crafters and artists who love to work with their hands. It is very freeing to think that I can start that project tomorrow if I want.

Bring on Monday!