Friday, January 06, 2006

A day of rejoicing

Today is a very good day. After several days of knowing that my mom was in the hospital with pneumonia, and not being able to reach her, I called this morning and she answered the phone. She is leaving the hospital today and going home. "Home sweet home", she said. She said she is steady on her feet now, although her back hurts. I'm sure she is looking forward to her nice soft bed at home. She is also looking forward to eating an apple, (she is 96 years old...one apple at a time), and putting a little salt on her food. They had her on a no salt diet because they wanted to get rid of the extra fluid brought on by the IV. She said she was going to go buy some Morton's No Salt. She is up on things, and ready to try to do what the Doctor orders. She checks her blood sugar each morning, and reports that today it was down to 100. She is a crackerjack at taking care of herself and I am so proud of her!

All I know is, this is a joyous day for me. I am home working on jewelry, and it is such a relief knowing that she is ok, and that she and I have a phone date for six o'clock this evening. I have missed talking to her, since she didn't have a phone handy enough to her hospital bed to answer it. Seems that hospitals could have cordless phones like the rest of us.

I am happy happy happy. Have a great day.