Thursday, September 16, 2004

Michael's Afghan

I am working every evening on Michael's Christmas Present. I am very excited about working on this granny square afghan, and I'm enjoying each square. It is soothing for me to sit and work on a square, and I was even able to finish one at my weight watchers meeting last night. I have decided not to keep this present a surprise, since I will still be working on it during Thanksgiving, when Michael will be visiting us. I carefully gathered wool instead of the usual acrylic yarn, using some that I had in my stash, and buying some colors to make it beautiful. In choosing colors, I try to follow the rule "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts". In other words, I want the color combination to have that certain something--a surprising combination of colors that makes it all work together for something charming and, well, magnificent. I had several false starts with colors. I chose dark purple, dark varigated teal, beige, coral and two shades of gray. For some reason, the color of the coral makes me think of Marilyn Monroe's lipstick. Mike loves movies, and I wanted to make an afghan that used "movie" colors. Colors with lots of contrast, yet deep enough to remind me of classics like Akira Kurasowa's "Rashomon," or Orson Welles "Citizen Kane". I make 7 different squares, about 7 of each one, to make it nice and big, and to add drama because you do not see the same repeated. The wool is nicer to work with, much more tender on the hands. I do not believe I have ever seen a granny square afghan done in wool before. It was not the most economical decision, but my hope is that it will be something that he will keep for many many years. The last afghan I made, my mother worked for a week weaving in the ends and sewing each one down with the matching thread color. Talk about dedication! I wish she could help me with this one when that time comes. I haven't figured out yet how to make that happen. As I crochet, I have often thought of Mike's kitty Taniko as I put together the squares. I'm sure she will love it too. Thank God for dry cleaners.