Sunday, October 23, 2005

Yesterday's craft show

George and I bundled up the car with crates, rugs, tables, tablecovers, and my fabric covered boxes of necklaces and earrings and we were at the Congregational Church in Medford for the craft sale. I had talked to some of my jewelry making friends online and they suggested that all tables for selling should be waist high. George cut PVC pipe into 10" lengths to put under the table legs. I had two tables set in a L shape, and when we raised our tables and put that pipe under them, people stared. It was a great thing! I covered the two tables (one rented from them, one mine) with taupe fabric and purple tableclothes and put two lamps at either end, laid out all the jewelry and sold a necklace five minutes after I was set up. Having the jewelry waist high meant people could examine it without reaching down, and it worked like a charm.

It was a fun day and I sold several necklaces and several pair of earrings. I didn't exactly deplete my inventory, but people had a lot of choose from, and that always helps. Selling out is not the goal, selling anything is the goal. Keeping my goals within reach, and having fun meeting people and spending the day showing my jewelry is my only goal. Several people commented on my striking color combinations, and it was nice to hear what they had to say. Getting out into the public with your art is a great way to get feedback and ideas. Indoor craft shows are a lot easier than out door. We were there from 8:30 until 4:00, and it was fun talking to everyone who came.

The advertising for the show was good, but there could have been more customers. There is going to be a first ever craft show at my church next Spring, and I am on the committee. We are going to have to make sure that people come out for it, since without shoppers there isn't much point. Getting good crafters and artists to display their work is one part, but getting people to come see it is just as important. Happy customers and happy crafters make for a successful show.

The next show for me is November 19th for Hallmark Health Hospice in Wakefield, Mass, and this one is going to be big, so it's off to the jewelry bench again to make more.

Have a great Sunday.