Thursday, November 11, 2004

Rockefeller Center

The huge Christmas tree is up today at Rockefeller Center in New York City. They have nothing on us. Last year we spend Christmas in New Orleans so we didn't have a tree. The year before that, we went to a local Christmas tree vendor, and bought a nice fluffy real tree for about $40. It was pretty and fat, and we put it in the livingroom where the china cabinet is now. I decorated it with white lights, draped it with beads and shiny balls and even used some of my Marti Gras beads as decoration. My Christmas trees are always very festive.

Last weekend we bought our tree for this year (and all future years). We bought an artificial tree, let me explain. We have wood floors. The Christmas that we bought the real tree, I was cleaning up little pine needles from between the wood in July. And, I was worried that even with the floor covered in a plastic sheet and overlayed with a big tree skirt, some water might spill when we weren't looking and ruin the floor. My kitty Thunder also liked to go under the tree and drink that yukky water, which is a very bad idea for cute orange cats.

So this year, we went to Lowe's and bought a beautiful 7 1/2 foot artificial tree with 900 lights. It is the only tree that we have seen in several stores that looks JUST LIKE a real tree. I swear you cannot tell the difference. It cost $200. It was the only one they had left, so we nabbed it and put it away in the storage locker.

Now for the idea. The year we went to New Orleans I studied the southern charm of the way they decorate trees. Southern Christmas trees are really lush and elaborate, like something Scarlet O'Hara would love. Not so many shiny balls and geegaws, and often decorated with large bunches of artificial flowers and ribbons. They don't hold back. The flowers and bows are huge and lush. At our hotel in New Orleans, the tree was decorated with huge white flowers and dark navy velvet ribbon. It looked ghostly and beautiful and dramatic.

I especially was impressed by a Christmas tree in a fancy highway rest stop at the Mississippi/Louisiana state line, which had a huge "living room" with comfy chairs, wood paneling and a fireplace. This tree was gorgeous, with bouqets of flowers and 3" brocade ribbon and bows tucked into the fronds. It was there that I got the idea that I would do this at our house. When I came home, I bought similar flowers on sale at a shop here, and stored them away. After we get the tree up this year, I will buy the wide ribbon and make bows myself, although right now I don't know what color that will be. The flowers that I bought are white and pink poinsettas, and red velvet roses. I will also tuck in small bunches of baby's breath. Well, you'll see. It will look a lot more beautiful than it sounds now. Have faith. I will take pictures for you.

I love the southern way of doing Christmas. I always make southern cornbread stuffing, and Aunt Bill's candy, which I swear is my mother's favorate food, spiced pecans and lots of decorated sugar cookies. I can't wait for Thanksgiving, and then Christmas follows just a few days after. Yoohoo. This is my time of year. Michael and Michelle are coming for Christmas at our house. I told Michael that he has no idea how excited I can get about having company for Christmas!

And, to top this all off, George and I just decided this morning to take a trip to New York City to visit Rockefeller Center this holiday season to see the tree of all trees. I haven't been to New York City in a long time, even though we live only five hours drive away. So, this is going to be a real treat for me. What a fun season this is going to be! You'll be hearing lots more, so hang onto your seats.

Let me be the first...Happy Holidays.