Saturday, November 27, 2004

Family Nights

George loves James Bond, and we had one movie or another on TV in the evenings all weekend. We also watched One Night At McCools, a very funny movie with Liv Tyler, Matt Dillon and Michael Douglas. We really enjoyed it and Michael sits at the computer playing EQ and watching a movie at the same time, and laughs along with us. We had fun during our "family nights" as Michael called them. I woke up this morning realizing that he has to go to the airport around noon today, and I am sad to see him go, but we had a great time together while he was here. Since he and Michelle will be here for Christmas in about three weeks, I am excited about that visit already.

Michael folded origami for me and I made this "advent" centerpiece for our table yesterday. He said (in a very Zen-like way) that the importance is the act of the folding, not the finished piece. He was horrified at a book we bought in which cuts with scissors were made to create origami poinsettias. He would have none of that. He knows how to make 20 different animals, and I am going to enjoy looking at this and remembering him every time I see it.

I'm not sure what George and I have planned to do this weekend after he is gone, but whatever it is, I know it doesn't involve cooking or eating. Michael isn't much of a shopper, so we didn't get out to too many stores yesterday. We did go to Pier One and George surprised me with a candle wick trimming kit. I have never had one, and don't know how I lived without the long curved scissors, the long tweezers for the little black wick that falls back in, and the candle snuffer. For someone who likes candles as much as I do, these little gadgets are priceless. We also stopped at Starbucks for eggnog latte for Mike, vanilla for me and hot chocolate for George.

Today there will be a visit to the yarn store to get a yarn called Zap. It is an eyelash yarn and one skein is not enough for a scarf. I am making a scarf for a gift in brown, purple, green and light green. It looks likes a dark camoflage. Zap is about $13 a skein I think, so it is much more expensive that my other scarf yarns. I also picked up a Vogue Kniting magazine yesterday. I think I will start a really diffcult cable knit sweater soon. Time to stop with the scarves. I think.

Today is a day to recoup, review, and relive all the fun we had during Thanksgiving. We laughed about our first breakfasts, second breakfasts and "elevenzies". George baked oatmeal raisin cinnamon chip cookies last night to give to Michael to take home with him. Au Revoir Michael. See you again soon!