Sunday, November 21, 2004

Hunting and gathering

George and I spent most of the day out of the house, hunting for this and that, and gathering groceries, Christmas presents and other assundry items. We visited eight different places. It was our day to stay out of the house because the housecleaners were here. We used our coupons to buy the water I like on sale at three separate stores, and went to New Hampshire for apples for Thanksgiving pies, and stopped at a mall we seldom go to where they had massive sales on clothes and jewelry. I bought some jewelry for presents 70% off. It was hard to get out of there and I wanted to buy a lot more than I allowed myself to buy. We were like children out of school. We even had a rare country style "brunch" of eggs and sausage and grits.

When we arrived home with our packages six hours later, we were apprehensive as we entered the house. Did the cleaners do a good job? The scent of furniture polish and floor cleaner was evident, and the house sparkled. It is clean! I no longer feel guilty about hiring them, I feel elated! And they come back in two weeks! No more worry about whipping the house into shape before company comes. It is all done! All I have to do is arrange the flowers and bake some cookies, which is something I seem to know more about.

We bought our groceries for the Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and the menu is planned. We have a peck of Mutsu apples, and a 16 pound turkey and all the trimmings. I cleaned the refrigerated and stocked the new supplies. We are ready for Thanksgiving!!

Mike arrives tomorrow at 3 p.m. and George will go to Logan airport to pick him up. I will be at work, and leave at 4 to hurry home to meet them. Tomorrow night is dinner at a famous steak house in Boston, The Hilltop. There is nothing like it anywhere. It is based on the old "cattlemans" restaurant and is huge so there are no lines ever. We really dislike waiting an hour in line at a restaurant for our dinner.

The hunting and gathering is done, and the new diningroom table arrives on Tuesday afternoon. I am very aware how lucky I am that this Thanksgiving is coming together so nicely. I can't wait to see Michael again. Today I make sugar cookies for our long nights at the keyboard playing Everquest together.

Hurry Michael. Fun is waiting!