Saturday, November 06, 2004

Knitting and Cooking

I am finding it hard to take adequate pictures of my fun furry scarf collection. Somehow, the lushness of the texture and the "loft" of the weight of them just isn't coming through. Using three skeins in each instead of one, and combining two yarns together results in something that is really luxurious. Well, you'll just have to take it from me.

I'm baking bundt cakes today for the church coffee hour tomorrow. One lemon and one orange-cranberry. New Englanders love their crumb cake, so we bought three of those and three other coffee cakes from the Swedish bakery too. When Redeemer sees that it is our time for coffee hour, I really do think they come hungry! We usually serve about ten cakes and they are all gone in minutes. We make 80 cups of coffee and they drink all of that and a quart of half and half. Coffee hour is very important in a Swedish church.

George is outside raking the small mountains of leaves that blew into the yard yesterday. We just did a bunch of errands to pick up things I need to entertain 100 people next Wednesday at an event for work. Since it is a fundraiser and we need to raise $15,000, instead of having it catered, we are saving money by getting donations and the arrangements fall to me. It is fine, I'm happy to do it, but it is a little nerve wracking until it is all over. I'm even going to bake a couple of cakes for that rather than buy them. I don't mind doing things the old-fashioned way. In fact, I enjoy baking. Sour cream bundt cake batter is rich and foamy and makes a really beautiful cake. Nothing says lovin' like something from the oven.

Ding. Time to get the cake out.