Monday, August 06, 2007

Monday morning in New Orleans

The river is busy this morning. We have packed up and now we are leaving for breakfast at Petunias, a restaurant in the French Quarter that we hear has good crepes. We will have a long flight today through stormy Philadelphia and I don't expect the airlines to offer us much in the way of food. New Orleans has so many wonderful restaurants that you feel bad that you can't eat that much! We went to the Gumbo Shop for lunch on Saturday and had jambalaya and red beans and rice and shrimp remoulard. Delicious. And they only get one star in the guild book. Shame on them. It was delicious.

Service people in New Orleans are always very nice. From the maid in the hotel to the servers at the restaurants and the cab drivers, it seems to me that even though people must be tired, and that they are just doing their every day job, they don't take that out on the customer. Maybe it is just me, but I like almost everyone I meet in New Orleans.

Today we are going to a shop we know to find a fleur de lie t-shirt for me. That is my quest for the morning. Then it will be time to come back to the hotel and catch the shuttle to the airport. We have a layover in Philadelphia and don't get to Boston until 10 p.m.

I always feel bad when I have to leave, but I won't miss this humidity and heat. I think most of the country is suffering from high heat today (George and I still watch the weather channel wherever we go) and to New Orleans it is just another summer day.

We're off to breakfast. George is waiting.
Have a great day.