Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Home from the bead show

The Bead and Button Show ended on Sunday, and we flew home on Midwest. The flight was terrific and we were home on time and happy. I mention that because my flights to anywhere usually end up in tales of woe, but not this time!

The Bead and Button Show was awesome as always. We had four days of wonderful classes, and fun shopping for beautiful new beads from artists and vendors who come from all over the world. This is my fourth year, and I was better able to handle the big hall this year, and got around to almost every booth. There are 450 vendors, so that is no easy task. It was great to see friends I hadn't seen in a year, and to buy a few beautiful lampwork beads from the artists who I know. I also found the silver prices irresistible and stocked up on some beautiful silver pieces. I bought Hill Tribe and Bali, and visited some sellers twice to get more. The silver wire which I need for wire-wrapping pendants and for making Viking Chain were half the price of anywhere else, and I had dreams about going back and buying more, so I did.

It is wonderful to be with thousands of other people who love making jewelry as much as I do. We always visit the tool and wire booths, and talk about our latest favorites and see the new products. I bought a cutter and a round nose pliers to die for. These tools are the Cadillacs of jewelry tools, and it takes a few years to afford them. But they are so fine and precise and the cutters cut like butter. Incredible.

I have my work cut out for me to make more jewelry and get some pictures on the web and have a couple of jewelry shows. My creativity is unleashed and I have three new techniques under my belt; the right-angle weave stitch, silver metal clay and the double Viking Chain. Taking classes from the pros really makes you feel like a pro, and learning new techniques gives me confidence and the power to be even more creative. Time, time, I need more time!

Have a great day.