Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Overpacking

I have a problem. Every time I go on a trip, I always say I'm going to pack light. And almost every time, I go with a bulging suitcase with just a few extra outfits thrown in. I almost always come back with clothes that I never wore. I don't understand why I can't learn to pack light. It always seems to me that I may have to change clothes in the middle of the day, or I might spill something, or I don't know what the weather will be.

I'm packing for five days and I know I have too many clothes plus as many shoes and sandals as I can squeeze in. Last time we went to New Orleans, it was August and hot as blazes. Everyone was having trouble with blistered feet, and even your most comfortable sandals rubbed the wrong way. The line at Walgreen's for blister meds and band aids was long. I talked to other travelers, and it seems that in the heat, feet swell just enough to rub on shoes. I ended up wearing every pair of shoes I brought, because some cause blisters in one place and some in another. So that is my justification for taking 3 pair of sandals and two pair of tie ups on this trip. I may need them. And I'm wearing my orange Birkenstocks. Why? Because I can.

It is my vacation and I'm looking forward to walking by the Mississippi and waving to the Calliope player. I'm looking forward to eating a mufelatta at the Central Grocery, having soft shell crabs at Mother's, and going to Commander's Palace for a fancy Saturday lunch. It is going to be really fun. We also plan to get to a bead store on Magazine Street, an Asian Festival at the Audabon Zoo, and an evening trip on the Steamboat Natchez.

Sounds like I'm going to need a lot of clothes. Right?

Have a great day.