Monday, August 04, 2008

Life is 10% stuff and 90% kittens

George and I went to Paxton, Massachusetts on Saturday to join Michael and Michelle and her family at the memorial service for her grandmother. As I read about her grandmother, who I only met once, I wished I had known her better. Her home is filled with beautiful artwork that she created, and I would have had fun talking to her about that. I did get a chance to talk to Michelle's grandfather about his rhododendrens and the beautiful large plantings by the front door. The two acres of land in the back were beautiful and serene, and while we were there, a gentle rain was falling and everything was emerald green. It was lovely.

Paxton is a historical place, and I would like to learn more about it. It is interesting to think what it would have been like to grow up there. It is very different than the plains and praries of Oklahoma. The Paxton Congregational Church in the center of town was built in 1728. It was standing for 140 years before Oklahoma became a state. No wonder we are "sooners". Massachusetts is full of history, and makes me wish sometimes that I was a "later" instead.

The kittens are doing well. Safari has discovered climbing, and has been to the top of the cage (like the top of the Empire State Building in kitten terms), and is very interested in bugs and flies. She can chase and catch and bat, and is really agile and quick and intensely interested. I hope one of my china cups never comes between her and a fly. The cup will lose.

Simba has learned how to jump over to my lap and nuzzle in for some petting. Safari stands nearby and watches, and now rubs just a little on my leg. She is coming around. They are a handful, and just taking the time to play with them several times a day sort of wears us out. George lays down on the kitchen floor and pets Safari gently to get her used to being touched. And sometimes he taks a little snooze there. Since the kittens arrived, sleeping on the kitchen floor doesn't seem strange at all!

Have a great day.