Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cadillac Ranch

Sometime in the early eighties, my family took a car trip from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque, New Mexico for New Year's holiday. We had a great car trip, a great time, and it is all a big happy memory.

As we drove along in the dry, flat, featureless plains outside of Amarillo, I looked over to see a whole row of antique Cadillacs buried in a wheat field. The site had been mowed, so you could see the cars. I was so impressed that an artist would take the time to crease such a spectacle with no fan fare, no signs, no credits. I hollered out and we pulled the car over to the side of the road and got out to stare. We couldn't believe our eyes. It was wonderful, strange, and crazy. We loved it, and I loved the artist who shared this with all of us driving along that very boring stretch of Americana.

The pictures of the Cadillac Ranch installation which I found on the web this morning include cars painted with years of graffiti. When I saw them, I don't remember any graffiti, just a long line of beautiful antique cars planted in the field bent over like wind-blown corn.

Today in the New York Times, there is an article about people who are giving up their dream SUVs because of the price of gas. They call it Putting the Dream Out To Pasture. They have illustrated with a picture that is a clear reference to the original Cadillac Ranch, which I don't believe many people know about.

Cadillac Ranch: I'm amazed and grateful that I saw the real thing!

Have a great Sunday.