Sunday, October 07, 2007

Mission: Happy People

I created my mission for repairing other people's old jewelry several weeks ago and reported it here on this blog: make people happy by fixing something they love and making it useful and nice again. In other words, it is a labor mostly of love and only a little money.

This week I restrung a prized necklace for an 89 year old lady who lives in my town. She had gotten my card from the bead store. Her necklace was different colors of agate stones and gold spacer beads, and she liked it, and it was broken into several pieces. She said she liked it because it went with everything because of all the colors. The necklace was strung on the old worn out floss that I have seen on other pieces lately.

I restrung the necklace stones on silk thread and was able to make knots to put back the original screw type antique clasp. I polished up the stones, and added a few gold spacer beads that were a little shinier here and there. I called her today to say it was ready, and she doesn't drive at night, so George and I took it over to her house, just a few blocks away. We fix jewelry, and we deliver. It made me feel good.

So, when I decided that I would repair jewelry to make others happy, what I didn't understand is that it would make me happy too!

Have a great night.