Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Say yes to more time off

A few months ago, without me asking for it, my hours were cut from 40 a week to 30 a week. I get off Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 and I have Fridays off. There is a hit to the bottom line, that is for sure. My paycheck positivly creaks with lack of grease. However, I have come to look forward to each week more because there is a lot more time for what I really want to do--be creative.

I quickly learned that having a day off each week does not mean that I do more housework--although there is some time for that. Usually I spend Fridays creating new jewelry and listing jewelry items for my store in Ebay: Sparkleandcharm. This can take up most of the day, and in the afternoon I go shopping for supplies, or make something good for dinner. It is amazing to me how much time running my Ebay business takes. I spend almost one whole day each week, as well as at least two hours each day. This is not always selling, mind you, I wish it was. There is a lot of noodleing with listings, improving on pictures, writing to my friends, surfing to other sellers and buyers to do "research", and talking with my jewelry group. And, of course, there is always the purchasing from other Ebayers for beads and findings. I am always happy to support one of my buddies on the Bead Hive, the Ebay jewelry group that I enjoy so much.

We recently had four days off, and to show for them, I have a well organized beading area, a few new bracelets and necklaces, a new polymer clay area in the kitchen, and a few polymer heart pendants that are almost "sale" quality. I have been encouraged by my friends remarks that they think my polymer roses and hearts should be selling right now for at least $20. Nothing like a compliment to make you run for the work bench.

Tonight, after work, it is back to the clay table to perfect my polymer hearts. There is someting to be said for working shorter hours when I get to spend more time working at what I really love to do.

Have a great day.