Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Packing

Well, it is time again for me to put that suitcase on the bed and start throwing things at it. I am a terrible packer. It is hard for me to admit that. I take too much. I often have to unpack the whole suitcase at least once to make sure that what I put in the suitcase first is something I still want to take.

The world has become a strange place. I take a lot of electronics when I travel: my phone, my charger, my IPOD, my charger, my GameBoy Advance, my charger. Then the jewelry goes in. I travel with jewelry the way a child travels with a teddy bear, it is my Comfort and Joy. By jewelry, I don't mean diamonds and pearls, I know enough to leave the good stuff at home (if I have any), but the jewelry pieces I make myself; things that become like children. Then I start packing clothes.

I always bring too many clothes to every location. Usually I come home with at least three things I never even took out of the suitcase. When I get there, I am just like I am at home, and put whatever on, and just go. But packing for a trip, I imagine every possible scenario, and pack accordingly--hence, too much stuff.

Shoes are a problem. I have lots of nice shoes, and especially like to take my Birkenstocks. I can't live without Birkenstocks. Any good knitter worth her socks wears Birkenstocks! They are heavy, clunky and don't pack well, but in they go.

This trip is my High School Reunion. We won't even BEGIN to talk about the pressure that puts on a person when it comes to the right outfit. I've now decided to ignore that whole problem, and just "go are you are"...sort of like a pajama party. I will just wear what happens to come out of the suitcase first. I'm sure there will be a LOT to choose from.

Have a great day.