Sunday, September 25, 2005

Highschool Friends

I couldn't resist writing a few words about my 40th reunion this weekend. The dinner at the Elks Club in El Reno was last night and it was great fun. I can't get over the fact that everyone showed up both nights early...no waiting around to be the last to arrive or to make an entrance. Everyone came from far and wide to be there and by golly they came to have a good time. We found ourselves standing around staring at each other waiting for recognition to dawn, and then we smiled and laughed and hugged. It was really great to see so many of us there.

My take on the whole thing is that we are one big happy successul fun bunch of people. Most talked about their grandkids and their adventures in life, and most have had successful careers and lives. I didn't meet anyone at all that wasn't happy to be there and friendly as "all get out".

The fact that neither evening was air-conditioned was a real "ice breaker" since we all tended to try to find a cool breeze and gathered in small groups to fan each other and talk about how hot we were. Even with sweat running down our backs, we smiled through it and enjoyed a great Elks home cooked meal and a rich dessert that looked like heart-attack-on-a-plate to me. It was chocolate pecan pie as far as I could make out and I ate way too much of it.

So many of my classmates are better looking than we have ever been, and no one seemed to wish that they looked like the picture on their nametag. We were all comfortable in our own skins, even if that skin is a little more road weary.

It was a great time. The music started and after a few loud 60's songs, I'd had enough and moved to the cooler climes outside. I had a great conversation with two classmates and friend about riding Harleys and how much fun we have had in our lives doing unexpected things.

It will take a long time for me to process all that I learned, and I hope folks will look me up and email any time. What an awesome bunch of people.

More later. Have a great Sunday.