Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sunday afternoon

George and I were coffee hosts at church today. It was another day of "abundant sunshine" as they say on the weather channel, and not too hot, so we set up the tables outside for coffee hour. We made chocolate bundt cake, lemon bars, and chocolate chip cookies, and we bought three cheese coffee cakes. I made 70 cups of coffee, and threw half of it away. The coffee drinkers must have stayed home today. We also had lemonade and tea, and I think most people had that. Anyway, it was another successful coffee hour. The hard part is cleaning up afterwards and putting the heavy tables away, and when it came time for that, no one was around but us. We took our time, did the dishes, put everything away and left the church at noon.

For some reason, I like doing coffee hour and hosting people. I should have been a caterer. But it is hard on the back and I've learned to wear really comfortable shoes. Today I wore a blue and yellow flowered apron that matched my yellow slacks, and several people commented on it. It is a Swedish church and they love their blue and yellow.

As I walked into the house after church, I was carrying a tray and a thermos cup from Starbucks and the coffee leaked out and dripped all over my new white beaded blouse and yellow slacks, so I had to do an immediate half hour washing in cold water at the kitchen sink, and they are now hanging on a quickly assembled clothes line in the sunshine. If you don't know about Fels Naptha soap, get some. It comes in a bar, is very old fashioned, and takes out all stains without ruining clothes. I could not live without my Fels Naptha soup. Stains gone, crisis averted. Lucikly I did that after church and not before. God is good. Have a great day.