Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Summer flowers

Yesterday when I drove up the driveway, I saw that a gust of wind had taken the umbrella, flipped it over and flung it over the railing of the deck onto the drivway, taking the table with it. The table legs had fallen off and the watering can had landed upside down in one box of flowers, while another box that overhangs the railing had been knocked off by the table and flipped over upside down on the driveway. It looked like a tornado had come through. I raced through the house and went outside to see what I could do to help. Luckily, the window box of tarragon and geraniums that fell upside down is ok, thanks to their toughness. Any other flower would have been broken into tiny pieces.

All is well now. Even the umbrella is ok, although its spokes were all awry and we had some straightening to do. That wind must have been something. Even a bamboo windchime hanging by the kitchen door lost it's clanger and needs to be fixed. From my office I saw that wind kicking up in the middle of the afternoon and it left as soon as it came. Who knew it was wrecking things on the deck.

The picture is of my vinca, which is a flower that my mother likes, which I plant every year, and which always reminds me of her when I look at it. Mom, as you know, is 95 and lives in Oklahoma, where she plants lots of flowers that thrive in full sun. Oklahoma is a very sunny place. When I was down there in the Spring, we went to Lowes, and she had me look for Mexican Heather, another plant that she likes. Last weekend George and I found three hanging plants of Mexican Heather at Home Depot which needed a home, so we have that in the backyard too. He likes it too, and neither of us had known about it before.

Summer is here for such a short time. I'm going to enjoy all these flowers and birds now, before it fades to fall.

Have a good day,