Saturday, August 15, 2009

A trip to Concord

This morning we took a drive to a place called Verrill Farm in Concord. It was a beautiful sunny morning, and it seemed to me that we should try to get their early. Everyone in Massachusetts was on the road today and I wanted to beat the traffic. We got there at 9:30 and had coffee and the most wonderful cranberry scone. We bought beautiful purple carrots and long radishes and fresh corn and lettuce. We thought we were going to buy heirloom tomatoes, but they weren't on display. I think they were saving them for the tomato and corn festival which was to start at noon. They were setting up tents and getting the hotdog stand ready. I didn't want to pay the $8 admission, and I didn't feel like being in a crowd, so some lovely veggies on a beautiful morning suited me just fine.

We drove past the fields of vegetables and sunflowers and into the dark woods of that part of the world. I always imagine what it was like to live there in the 1600s when the early settlers moved in and fought for American independence. The area is beautiful and the fields must look similar. Some of the clapboard houses from the 1600s are still there!

We were home by noon with our bags full of beautiful vegetables and plants for our deck--a really nice Saturday morning!

We had dinner tonight of lettuce with tomatoes and peppers from our own garden and corn from the fields with baked cod. I love simple meals cooked at home.

Have a great weekend!