Monday, January 21, 2008

A new day

I have found that every once in a while, you have to make a big change in your life. In my life, several times, I have found the truth and been able to make big changes. The truth comes to me in funny ways. This year, the truth came to me that I needed to add exercise into my life. It came to me when someone at my workplace urged me to get as excited as she was about the opening of the new health club next door. We would walk to lunch and she would talk to the construction workers of the sports club. She wanted it to open. She was excited. It didn't seem like such a big deal to me, but I was willing to hear the excitement that she brought to the conversation. She wanted me to join too, so I could exercise with her. I wasn't too sure about that idea, but I did hear the truth...that I needed to do this too.

Thank goodness I heard the truth. I joined the Boston Sports Club, knowing that if I was spending $40 a month and did not go, I would feel awful. I made a commitment, that no matter what, I would go. If I felt out of place, or old, or heavy, or anything less than young, fit and beautiful, I would get over it and go anyway. I would make the best of it. I knew that exercise was something I really needed. There isn't too much aerobic about knitting and making jewelry. Walking around the neighborhood would have been good, but I never seemed to find the time, or the weather wasn't right, and the sidewalks are bumpy. I have been suffering from the lack of exercise. It was getting hard for me to walk up and down stairs, and to do the mundane. I wanted to feel better. I wanted my knees to stop hurting every time I took a step. I didn't want to get out of breath walking two blocks to the lunch place.

The health club opened on December 29th, and I was there the next day. So far, I have been every day since then, except four days. I put little stars on my calendar every day that I go. I look forward to getting there. I like it, and I don't feel out of place.

I was lucky to meet a great guy who is a trainer. He did my free orientation, and we clicked. It is a new day. He helped me figure out what I should be doing, and he got me through the anxiety attack I had when I first got on the cardio machine. He has since become my trainer, and has pushed and prodded me through lots of reps on the strength machine. He asks me to do what I think I cannot do. He works on my weak knees and bad balance and helps me when I need it and pushes me further than I think I can go. He helps me work out the right way, and encourages me to go for a little bit more each day. He shows me that I can do what I think I cannot do. We have a sense of humor. We laugh through the burn. He has made exercise FUN for me.

I have kept my goals simple. I just want to feel better. I just want to get to the health club every day and work out on the cardio and feel the stretch on the weight machines, and get my body to work for me without pain. What I have found out is that the pain of stretched muscles is no where near the pain of unused knees and joints. I used to blame my pain on arthritis, but the doctor usually only talked about extra weight and the burden I was asking my knees to carry. I finally heard the truth.

I will lose weight and I will get stronger. When I wake up, I feel my body recovering from the exercise of the day before, but it feels good. Now when I hurt, I know it is because I'm getting better.

It is a big deal. It is a new day. It is listening to truth, whenever it comes your way.

Have a great day.