Friday, January 25, 2008

The Muffin Man

I just got home from my seventh session with the trainer at the health club. It is Friday night, and I didn't start until 6:30. I came home from work tired, but bucked up, changed into my exercise duds, laced up my shoes, and went to my workout. The difference in how I feel afterwards is just amazing. It really is true that exercise gives you energy. Rather than tiring me out, it makes me feel LESS tired! Who knew?

I have a lot to learn. I need to not give up on those heavy weights and enjoy the burn a little more. I need to try just a little harder. But I am doing well, and going almost every day is a goal in itself. I feel good when I sweat, and I feel good when I set the bar a little heavier, and the revs a little faster and the push a little harder. I go six days a week. I love it. It is all good.

Who knew that I would begin to listen. So, here's to my friend The Muffin Man!

The famous Oat Bran Muffin Recipe:

3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. oat bran cereal
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/3 c. (1 whole) banana, mashed
1/2 c. yogurt, plain
1 egg
2 T. oil
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. grated carrots
1/2 c. chopped dates or raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped

Mix the dry ingredients. Mix liquid ingredients in separate bowl. Combine the two mixtures until moistened. Fold in the carrots, dates and walnuts. Lightly grease muffin pan or line with paper cups. Fill 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

Share with your friends. These are yummy and chewy and good for you too!