Saturday, December 16, 2006

Gearing up for Christmas

It is that time of year when things always get a little bit hectic. This year I was able to do most of my Christmas shopping early, so that is basically done. I have to mail packages to Oklahoma at Christmas, and it is always a challenge to get those presents bought, wrapped and mailed first.

The lines at the post office this year were long. As I stood one day in a line with 17 people in front of me, I heard the lady at the counter says over and over, "Unless you ship Priority, it is not guaranteed that the package will arrive before Christmas." That was on December 11th, a full 14 days before Christmas. She said over and over that the postal workers only mail non-Priority boxes after all the Priority ones are taken care of. It sounded like a threat to me. So, I mailed everything Priority, and spent almost $50 doing that. Some other people, I noticed, took their chances on common sense, and mailed their packages regular. I could see the little thought balloons over their heads...14 days should be enough to get anywhere!

So, I braved the postal lines, and am now back home looking at the pile of gifts that is on the bed upstairs. Today is wrapping day. We are driving to Washington DC for Christmas on Wednesday, which makes me very very happy because I am a heavy packer, and I like to take what I like to take. We will have large bags of wrapped presents in the car, and a lot of happy thoughts about spending Christmas holiday with Mike and Michelle and Michelle's family. It is SO NICE to have a whole new family in the family, if you know what I mean.

Christmas cards are another stresser. I don't send out many, but even those that I do tend to go out at the last minute. This year I made many of my Christmas cards and tags using gold and silver embossing powder and a heat gun. I had fun learning about how to emboss rubber stamps, and I took advantage of having the time to do that this year. But, of course, I have more to do. It ain't over till it's over.

Today is a full day of Christmas prep, and by nightfall, much of the wrapping and writing of cards will be done. Then comes the hot chocolate.

Have a great day.