Thursday, December 07, 2006

Another addiction

Some people are addicted to alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, Coca Cola, scratch tickets...all kinds of things. I am addicted to making socks. I have just finished my third pair using Sockotta sock yarn, a mix of cotton, wool, & nylon which is perfect for socks. The wool makes them warm and pliable, the nylon holds their shape, and the cotton makes our feet comfortable in all conditions. This yarn is also superwash, which means it will last through lots of washings. One would hope these socks last awhile. They take a lot of hours to make. It takes me about 10 hours to make a pair of socks, and I usually can do a pair in about four days. George watches TV. I knit socks. And while I'm knitting away on these little cramped needles, I mull over why I like doing this so much. I used to think that this yarn was too fine, and that holding those tiny #2 double pointed needles too hard on the hands, but something has changed, and now I love making them. And, my hands do hurt. Sometimes I go to bed at night with both hands sore from cramping around the tiny needles. Well, we always have to pay for our addictions one way or another.

Three people on my Christmas list are getting a pair of socks, and probably more people than that before I'm through.

I tend to knit in stages. One stage, in a winter, I knit 18 hats. I made up my own patterns and got quite good at it, and I am happy to say that at a Stow, New Hampshire Knit-In Event, I won first prize for one of my hats. It was a hard audience to impress, and I am very proud. I'm all through with hats now, and have also knit through my shawl stage, my Lopi sweater stage, and my furry scarf stage last winter. Now I'm all about socks!

Hey. No hangover.

Have a great day.