Monday, September 11, 2006

One Day At A Time

Since the wedding, things have sort of piled up here at home, and they just seem to keep piling. I call it my "One Day At A Time" stage, where I try to keep it simple, and not plan too much. Life goes on, and housework will always be there. George and I tend to be interested in a lot of things, and we don't like to live simply. I admire people who do.

Sunday School started yesterday and I had eight eager 9&10 year olds, and we had a great time. They read the bible lesson, Genesis 3, and dove into the apples that I had brought as a snack. You would think those children had never seen food! Then we played with the polymer clay and made tiny garden-themed items which I baked and will return to them to put into their backpacks to remind them of our theme that day--God cares what we do!

Yesterday afternoon I started working on a prayer shawl. This is a ministry that is starting at my church, and we meet once a month. We make knitted items to give away to people who are ill. The first meeting is next week. I have started a orangy/red throw, a rather ambitious project. It quickly came to a frustrating halt. I had to rip it out three times and start over. Maybe it was that we were watching the first season of 24, and the excitement got to me, or maybe it was that I just wasn't thinking, but after getting a whole three inches done,...I found that when I picked it up after dinner, I had reversed direction and made a complete mess of it. Oops, a hole. Lace isn't easy to rip out and then find your place again, so I just ripped again... and will start another day. My mother has always said, "Good ripppers make good knitters", so I am joining THAT club.

On Saturday, I enjoyed going to the Marlborough bead show with George and my friend Connie. This one was smaller, but just big enough to spend about all of my available beading money. We went from booth to booth, set up in very tiny rooms at the Embassy Suites, made for just such a show, and I bought some lovely strands of sterling silver spacer beads, some chandelier findings, some gorgeous strands of gemstones, and some Miyuki glass for my crocheted necklaces. It was a haul. We ate our lunch in the car after the show. It was a very "keep it simple" lunch: cheese sticks, granola bars, oranges, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and peppermint patties.

Today is Monday, the anniversary of September 11, 2001, and I am not eager to revisit my feelings on that day. I will concentrate today on the heroism and hope that exists in America like no where else, and I will pray and reflect and be grateful that I live in America.

God Bless Us All