Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Sunny and Cool.

It is hard for me to imagine living in Oklahoma, where it is in the 90's most of the time. I was there in the beginning of April to see my mom, and already it was shorts and sandals weather. Here in Massachusetts I still have my electric blanket out. Not on, exactly, but at the ready. It is in the 50's this week, and I'm wearing a sweater in the office. Hard to believe how warm most of the rest of the country is today. I believe the northeast has a cooler spring than almost anywhere. May is usually a rainy month here, and this month we got nailed! 15" of rain in places. The grass is green and high and every blessed growing thing has grown a foot--even the weeds and poison ivy along side the roadways.

When I was a kid, we used to go on a fishing trip vacation to northern Minnesota every July. The weather was always fresh and cool and sometimes sunny. I only remember one rather dull week when it rained every day and we never saw the sun once. That was a dud of a vacation week. Yet we never caught more fish that we did that week. They were flinging themselves into the boat.

This year, in the middle of July, George and I will be at the cabin in Northern New Hampshire, praying for sunny days and laughing through the raindrops. It is a lovely place no matter what the weather.

Sometimes summers in the northeast remind me of Minnesota summers. We have our hot days, but usually the weather is mild and nice. Peoople who complain about the weather here have never lived in Chicago!

Have a great day.