Monday, April 10, 2006

Dining 1950's style

This weekend I asked George to take the round table out of the alcove in the kitchen and donate it to the Salvation Army. It was too large for the space and the table had become a too convenient place to dump stuff that we didn't know what to do with. I remembered something my mother always says, "When cleaning house, things always get worse before they get better." She is right. Things got worse. But gradually, even though George did not have the same vision of the final project that I did, he motored on, and we cleaned out the space, put in an oblong table and I moved my beading supplies in. Stacking tables made into shelves and my big cloth boxes stacked on the floor made a great storage area for my beads and supplies. I think it is a miracle that I actualy KNOW where everything is, but I do, and I am careful about putting things away when I am finished with a project, since I hate not being able to find things when I want them. With the daylight coming in from the window, and two nice lamps, as well as my small Ebay photo studio, I now have a really cute area to do my beading and all my things are finally moved out of the dining room.

Dining rooms are made for the kind of 1950's style dinners that George enjoys. When we have dinner together, he really likes to sit at the table. It is a noble thing. Sometimes I convince him that we really want to watch TV and eat in the den, but even when I do that, I realize that he is right, and we should probably eat in the dining room like civilized people did in the 50's.

Maybe it is the fact that we do not have three young children sitting there with us like he did many years ago, but sometimes two people sitting across from each other in a dining room alone seems...well...lonely. But we have a beautiful dining room set, and now I can enjoy it. Yes, I will!

And I love my new "Bloom where you are planted" Beading Space!

Have a great day!