Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Storm

George and I survived the storm. Actually, survived is about the right word, since I came down with a flu-like symptom that I thought was food poisoning, but then had the same symptoms at work on Tuesday and had to leave early. It makes me dizzy, with headaches, and stomach grumbles and just general malaise. I'm sitting it out at home today and hope to be better soon!

My friend Dave died of lung cancer on Sunday. He had fought a gallant battle for almost two years, and had learned how to ask for help in getting to his hospital and doctor visits. He was an accountant, and every bit of his skills were needed to keep up with medicare payments, pharmacy charges and insurance billing. He even had to fight to keep his apartment and get reduced rent rates. Even though you get very sick, and have to deal with the sad facts, they don't make it any easier on you.

He was a lovely, dignified man, and we enjoyed having him here for Christmas Dinner. He was my "coffee buddy" at work, and we had a lot of fun and many laughs. He was a great supporter of my Ebay efforts and never seemed to tire of my talking about sales and jewelry, even though he had probably little interest in such things. He was just great, a really good friend, and I am going to miss him.

The picture here is of flowers that he sent to my home in appreciate for rides to the Doctors offices, since Dave lived alone, and did not drive a car. God Bless You Dave!