Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dial up - you gotta love it

Tonight it took me 10 minutes to log onto Blogger.com. Ten minutes waiting for a log-in page to load makes me want to reach for my revolver. As soon as I get the AOL screen the trouble starts. I have to wait for it to load up all the spyware, scam-ware, pop-up protectors, anti-virus craziness and offers of parental controls. By the time I get to my email, to Ebay, or my blog I am already frustrated and have forgotten what it was I had to say.

Dial up is a scourge. They should punish hackers by putting them in a cell with only dial up. I hate AOL. It is the only game in town, and the only way to use my beautiful laptop from my mothers house, but....oh nevermind, I forgot what I was going to say.

I had a very fun dinner out tonight and it was a welcome change. Meeting a friend who you have known for over 40 years makes one humble. So many changes, and yet we are much the same. I had a perfect piece of salmon and a tasty salad and it was great to eat someone else's cooking for a change. The evening was fun and unexpected and the drive home was full of memories. Driving down the long dark highway in Oklahoma can be a lonely experience. I don't think I saw another car all the way home, and it is nice and peaceful to be on the plains in the middle of the country in the middle of the night. Just right.

I will go to sleep grateful tonight, for friends, for my mom's better day, and for...alas...dial-up.

Have a great night.