Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Fat Tuesday

Last week, traveling through Newark from Oklahoma, I saw a couple of guys come to the gate. They were pink necked, (different from rednecks), hung over and blustery. One of them was bemoaning the fact that he really needed a drink and the other said that the drinks at the airport were a "rip off". They looked rather miserable. One was feebly trying to read an old circular about New Orleans. Yep, finally I caught on! It was Ash Wednesday! These two had the ol' Marti Gras hangover big time.

I was reading my wonderful book about Winston Churchill by William Manchester. It is called "Alone", and it is a weighty book that takes a lot of concentration. It also just plain weighs a lot, and I was determined to bring it on this trip home anyway. Mike bought it for mom to read, but she isn't ready for this book yet, so I borrowed it with her permission.

These two party boys at the airport wouldn't even be able to lift the book, much less read it.

All in all, it was a crowded, rather hot, and cramped flight back on an airplane that is really too small for a long trip. But I was reminded again how happy I am that I never drink, and that I can face anything at all and know I won't EVER have a hangover like those two.

Viva New Orleans. Viva Lent.