Monday, March 13, 2006

Abraham and Sarah

George and I both work up in the middle of the night thinking about the sermon yesterday and the story of Abraham and Sarah. Abraham was 99 years old when God came to him and promised him a child. Abraham laughed. They had a child one year later, and a multitude of nations sprang from his offspring.

I don't know why we were thinking of that. Perhaps because we feel like we are 99? Perhaps because my mom is 96? Perhaps because we ate too much chili for dinner?

Some nights are like that. You just have to get through those early dawn dark hours, when things seem rather insurmountable, and move into the sunshine, where the world gets less scary. I heard the neighbor leave for his work. He leaves at 5:00 a.m. I always feel safe and secure in my bed when I hear him leave, and realize that I have two more hours before I have to get up.

Michael is in the midst of preparing for his upcoming wedding in October, and there is a lot to think about and a lot for him to manage. Like buying a home near Washington DC. I am not going to worry. And I'm also urging he and Michelle not to worry either. "Enjoy", I say. Somehow, like for Abraham, the happy promises will come true, and even things that seem insurmountable now will fall into place. Have faith!

Have a great day.