Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wal-Mart and other things

I am here taking care of my mother in Oklahoma. It is a good place for me to be, and mother is getting stronger every day. She is thriving on my good nursing, my good cooking, and the round the clock attention that she is getting. She can't get this care anywhere else, and I am going to stay another week to make sure she is really strong and back on her feet again before I leave. She is a little wobbly, and needs some strength and exercise, but she is determined to live at home, and I am determined to make that possible for her.

Each day I go on a little "outing", and that usually involves going to Wal-Mart, since it is about the only store there is in town. We are in the middle of Oklahoma, and Wal-Mart is big. Actually, my favorite thing about going to Wal-Mart is to see all the cross country semi trucks and campers that have made the Wal-Mart parking lot their temporary back yard. Lots of people in vans, trucks and campers pull in for a snooze or a safe place to spend the night. Today I saw a big double truck full of horses. This big truck was like a rolling horse motel. It had inside and outside stalls, and little doors for each horse, and behind the cab was a very tricked out dune buggy. The truck was beautiful, and so were the horses behinds...all I could see of them anyway.

Mustard hamburgers are big here. Today I was thoroughly tired of my salt free home cooking...so I treated myself to a Sonic mustard burger. It tastes just like the l950's and reminds me of dates and sock hops. They load the cup with shaved ice, and I parked at a nearby park in the beautiful sunshine of a fall afternoon and enjoyed my time out.

The weather is gorgeous. In the East, I hear it is windy, rainy and cold, and it seems unbelievable that the weather could be so balmy and lovely here. I am enjoying it, and now that mom is strong enough to be left alone for a few minutes, tomorrow I'm going to take a walk around the block to enjoy it a little.

Oklahoma is OK,...and so are we.
Have a great day.